Review: The Iron Queen (Julie Kagawa)

Publisher: Harlequin Teen (2011)
Format: Paperback | 358 pages
Genre(s): Young Adult, Romance, Urban Fantasy
Description: "My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
 
This time, there will be no turning back."
Warning: Minor SPOILERS!
The Iron Queen is the final book of the "Iron Fey" trilogy. Once again, Meghan Chase, half-human and half faery has to battle the terrible influence of the Iron Fey to save the Nevernever from total corruption and destruction. At her side, she has her beloved Unseelie Prince Ash, the Summer faery Puck (yes, that Puck - from Shakespeare's) and the cait sith Grimalkin.

This book was pretty typical and... predictable. As far as story goes, it doesn't differ that much from books one and two as Meghan follows all the same steps she had to take in previous books. Basically she goes to the Nevernever, perceives the Iron Fey as a threat and somehow has to get to their leader. And of course, for some reason she can't use her magic.

Also in this book we have the expected love triangle and the hot, intense teen love - that annoyed me to no end; all this melodramatic love is why I usually prefer adult urban fantasy to YA... it just isn't plausible. Still, I guess authors do need to pull all the stops if they're going to keep their target readers interested. Anyways, some of the love scenes and inner angst were very "Twilight-ish" (the book that started it all, in my opinion).

Meghan does grow a little as a character, although that is achieved through the usual battle training sessions. She seems to grow a backbone and that made her much more likable for me - thus, the half star... one of the reasons, anyway.

The end did surprise me a little (not the queen part, the teen love resolution part) and that's also why I gave it the half star. :D

Overall a nice YA urban fantasy that will appeal to fans of the genre, especially if they also like Twilight, Evermore, Hush, Hush... you get the picture. Still there is a little more to these "Iron Fey" books than angsty love and those were the parts I liked. It's worth a read.

Comentários

Jess13angel disse…
Adorei este livro, esta série tornou-se uma das minhas preferidas :) Great review!
slayra disse…
É uma boa série. :D